Pages

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

How Not to be a 3-Weeker

I pulled up at my health club first thing Monday morning to find that the parking lot was packed with cars.  Oh yeah, all those New Year's resolutions put into effect, everybody's at the gym.  After my fitness class, my friend and I were walking out into the bitter cold and commenting on how unusually full the parking lot is, and how it will be a relief when all these '3-weekers' drop off so we can have our old parking spots back.  Yes, of course I know that's not very nice.  Sorry. 

Later the same day, I overheard a conversation where someone was commenting on how so many people join health clubs the first week of the new year, work out for three weeks, then fall off the wagon.  In the past two days I have heard or seen at least half a dozen other references to these poor folks who just can't seem to keep up with what they've committed to.

This got me to thinking.  What makes people drop off after 3 weeks or so?  Health and fitness is my business, so how can I help?

As someone who has been steadily working out for quite a while now, it is easy for me to say that I can't or won't go a whole week without working out, I love it too much, and I get off on the way it makes me feel.  But not everybody is like that.  And believe me, there are many days that I don't want to peel myself off the couch and away from the Hershey kisses and go out in the cold to the health club where I'm just going to do a bunch of stuff that makes me want to vomit.  Hey, I'm normal.  Relatively...

I think the key to sticking with it is getting visible results.  When you work out for a couple weeks and one day you're at home and happen to catch a glimpse of a tricep you didn't know existed other than to cause you pain, or your significant other says something like 'Boy, they really work your ass hard in those classes, don't they? I mean your ass is literally hard.', or you run up the stairs and aren't heaving at the top...now those are good feelings.  Those feelings make you want to work out more, right?  Hopefully!

If you've got a long road ahead of you, the results you get in those first couple of weeks may not be significant enough to keep you coming back for more.  So how do you get the bests results you can?  Lose weight at a healthy rate, build muscle, get stronger, fitter, healthier?  AND KEEP AT IT?!

1. Keep your eye on the prize.  Find a picture of someone with your body type who is fit and healthy looking.  Cut it out and post it up.  Or a swimsuit, or dress you want, or some reward you will give yourself when you reach your goal.  And don't make your goal something insane...set small goals to reach in a certain time frame.  'I will lose 10 pounds by March 1'.  Realistic!  Then when you reach that goal, go another 10.

2. Accountability is the word of the day!  Find a partner, and hold each other accountable.  A little friendly competition never hurt anybody!  I have a couple workout partners, and there are many days that they are dragging me to the gym, and vice versa!  But the thing is, we go.  We motivate each other, hold each other accountable, and we go and we do it and we complain the whole time, but we are getting the results we want.

3. Evaluate your diet.  By now we are all aware that McDonald's is not health food.  But other than cutting out the obvious - fast food, soda, sugar, etc., what else can you do?  Depending on how you shop, you may have to reprogram your brain.  Don't buy products that contain hydrogenated oils, high fructose corn syrup, or more than 20 ingredients - and that's being generous.  Keep it simple - the less ingredients, the better.  Add more alkalizing foods to your diet, and add more natural sources of Omegas, including a pure supplement (Shaklee, of course).  Start your day with protein, and I don't mean bacon.  Vegetable protein!!  Soy is your friend.  I have a protein shake or bar every morning, and I won't go without it.  My energy level all day is waaaay better when I start my day with a protein shake (Shaklee, of course).  Plus, the Leucine in Cinch shakes will help you lose fat while you retain muscle, among a million other awesome health benefits.  Don't fall for stuff like Vitamin Water.  Scam!  Muscle Milk.  Scam!  Slim Fast.  Scam!  These products are full of synthetic ingredients, hydrogenated oils, and SUGAR.  If you need more info on what foods are alkaline, go here www.energiseforlife.com for a free, printable list of alkaline foods.  If you need more info on the Cinch line of products, CLICK HERE .

Whatever you do, just get out there and do it!  It's the time for new beginnings, so make your fitness and health a priority and rework your schedule to make time to take care of yourself.  You've only go one body, and no one else is going to do it for you! 

P.S.  Because I would be doing you a disservice if I did not add this; Shaklee has an amazing Cinch offer right now through January 31...join membership, buy yourself a box of Vitalizer (or place other $70 order), and get over $100 worth of Cinch products for free to get you started.  Includes:  full size can of Cinch, full size box of Cinch tea, full size box of peanut butter snack bars, plus a pedometer, program guide, and 3 month subscription to cinchwellness.com.  Ya, I know!!  AWESOME!!!  http://greengiraffe.myshaklee.com

No comments:

Post a Comment