Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Bite. Chew. Choke! I Bit Off Too much!!

There comes a time in the life of every person where you realize you're in a real big pickle.  In regards to this 107 year old farmhouse in which we live, we have been in many a pickle.  You know those GIANT pickles you can get at sub places or delis?  Yeah, those are good. 

This isn't like that at all. 

We came across this problem before when we were renovating our 1st floor powder room; multiple layers of badly applied wallpaper.  Wallpaper itself is just bad to begin with.  I mean, if you've put it up once, chances are you are so scarred for life that you'll never attempt it again.  If you've ever removed someone elses wallpaper disaster, you ARE scarred for life enough to never even consider wallpaper an option.  We're pretty well-rounded over here in the wallpaper-experience department.  As it turned out, our 1st floor powder room not only had a couple layers of wallpaper, but at least one of those layers had been painted over and new wallpaper applied over it and at least one layer was done with no sizing.  Of course.  And no amount of Basic H2 can touch that (yes, you can use it to remove wallpaper, and it works just as good as DIF.  Maybe better).  Once we realized the situation was hopeless, we ended up knocking out the walls.  Using a sledgehammer is actually quite exciting, I highly recommend it. 
Here's Bathroom Demo Bonnie.  You can't say I don't look excited.

In a house full of wallpaper horrors, we scraped our way down to one last wallpapered room.  My future creativity room.  After pulling off the top-most layer of wallpaper and border combination very easily, we were feeling pretty dang positive about how this room was going to go.  Both kids rooms were a piece of cake, and this room is in close proximity to theirs, so by association it should be cake too, right?  Here's a tip:  if you're going to remove wallpaper, remove it from plaster walls, not drywall.  Drywall stinks. 

My future creativity room is drywall.  And the very first layer of lovely pink and green floral striped wallpaper was done with...drumroll...no sizing.  It appears as if wallpaper layer applier #2 (keep up, here) attempted to remove layer #1, quickly abandoned that idea, and just wallpapered right over it.  But not before painting over some of that lovely stripey wallpaper with a gorgeous shade of country blue.  Wallpaper, paint, more wallpaper, with a border on top.  Sounds awesome, doesn't it?!  Yeah, it totally isn't. 


 











 It's a disaster.

What I thought would take me a couple days of H2'ing and scraping, washing, and repainting, will now involve a trip to Sherwin-Williams.  TO LOOK AT WALLPAPER.  My future creativity room is now my WTF DO I DO NOW? room.  But hey, I guess I can look at it this way;  I never thought I'd be putting up wallpaper again and now I will be.  Wait, that was supposed to be a 'glass half full light at the end of the tunnel' statement.  Shoot.

Oh well.  I've decided I'm going to try (very hard) to find something positive of my room every time there seems like there couldn't be a single damn positive thing about it.  So, have you seen my pretty hinge?
 
Oh, right. I posted that last time. 
Well...if you were a cat it would be GREAT!  
The view is like cat t.v., look at that action shot!
 My fingers in the picture are a total bonus for you, dear reader. Photographic proof of my mad skills. Yahoo!  

We're off to see the wizard Sherwin-Williams!  Later gators!

1 comment:

  1. I had a similar experience in my good ole Hometown kitchen...Bill came home from a business trip to 2 wallpapers and some holes in the drywall one year. I called in a professional, who stripped off what he could. Spackled where he had to and used a top of the line primer over it all. It took 2 coats,Then painted the color I chose. Still looks wonderful, and that's the goal!

    ReplyDelete