Pages

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Creativity Room Master Plan...B

After consulting the experts at Sherwin-Williams, it has been determined that we have a few options that do not include what we thought we would be able to do, which was to put a nice big wallpaper band-aid over everything and pretend we never saw it.

Option 1:  Put a 'skim coat' over everything and start with a new surface resembling plaster.  Considering my skills at frosting cakes, this is definitely not a good idea.

Option 2:  Put a new layer of drywall over everything.  It may be weird, but knowing that I would lose an inch overall in the room would really bug me.  Call me picky.

This is obviously me.
Option 3:  Get the sledgehammer, have a couple cocktails and bang out some walls!!  This totally sounds like it would provide the most excitement.  But it would also take quite a while, I would be doing most of the demo myself (see pic), and I would like to make that room functional sooner than later.  Knocking out the walls would mean mess, cleanup, drywall, mud & tape (gag), sand, fix spots, prime & paint, decide I don't like the color and repaint.  That last one I threw in just for good measure.  Plus, we're not exactly drywall hanging pros, you know?  The ceiling in that room is all slanted and the house is old and crooked and the chances of us getting it all straight and wonderful aren't so hot.  At any rate, it's not a quick solution.

The Winner:  Strangely, the solution we have come up with makes me very happy!  Thanks to a conglomeration of high quality brainstorming, and a great suggestion from my friend Kimberly over at Scrap It Girl, this is it:
Ceilings will be redrywalled and painted some wonderful yet-to-be-determined color of my choice.
Lower walls will have wainscoting, topped with a chair rail where the wall meets the ceiling (about 3 1/2 feet or so off the floor).
Opposite walls will be covered in cork board (thanks Kimberly!).

Yes, the old mess will still be under there, but considering the lovely mental picture I have of what the room is going to look like, I'm just gonna go ahead and suck it up.  My OCD can kiss it.

My darling, wonderful, loving, hot, sexy, manly, macho, brilliant hubby said if it rains today and he can't work outside, we can voyage to the hardware store and get the supplies (Hi honey!  I'm ready to go!).  Yay!  I can't wait.

So I need to ask you all a favor.  PRAY FOR RAIN.  If you don't pray, then cross your fingers, cross your eyes, do your dance or sing your song.  Whatever you do, do it with RAIN in mind!!!  I will reward you all with another blog full of pictures of room progress and me being ecstatically happy.  And who doesn't want that?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment