Pages

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Famous Last Words

Do you love being told you're right?  I do.

I mean, who doesn't.  That's not a question, let's be realistic.  No room for modesty here.

Once in a great while someone will say those words to me.  Albeit, not often...for anyone I imagine.  People don't like admitting defeat no matter who they are.  But when it happens...ooh baby.  Say it again.  And again.  Ohh ya, one more time.  It's so satisfying...

Those magic words, 'you're right'.  They get me every time.

Most of the time I live in the land of the eye-roll.  I get it so often I am practically immune.  As many of you know, I am quite opinionated in all matters food, chemicals, health and whatnot.  I often put in my two cents where it probably isn't wanted, but honestly I just can't help myself.  No, I don't always like to be the person to tell you that you're doing it all wrong - being the bearer of bad news all the time isn't fun, you know.  Don't think your reaction isn't written all over your face...I am perfectly aware of how people take things.  Most don't want to be told that their Vitamin Water is no better than soda, or that their after workout Muscle Milk has terrible side effects blah blah blah.  I imagine people often think I am just trying to sell my own stuff, but that's not necessarily the case.  I try to educate for better choices.  Though I have been asked, 'why didn't you tell me?', me giving bad news is not what this blog is about. (That's this one).

It's about me being right.

How many times have you been solicited for advice, or given it freely only for it to be thrown back at you unappreciatively?  It happens to everyone.  (Jeez, I hope it happens to everyone and not just me).  No matter what you say, the recipient of your good intentions seems to disagree and purposely stay very clear of anything you suggest.  It's hard to understand sometimes, why one would be discounted so quickly.  Is my knowledge not credible because I didn't go to medical school?  I think not.  Maybe to some I am still viewed as 'little Bonnie, what could she possibly know?'.

Yes, this blog is about you.  You know who you are, MOM.  And especially you Tracy, though you still haven't taken any of my brilliant advice.  I threatened to blog about you, didn't I?  See what you get for laughing?  Mwah ha ha ha!!!  Who's laughing now, Carol?!!

Some time ago, my mom was having big problems with heartburn, acid reflux kind of stuff.  She was on a prescription for it from the doc...Zantac, maybe...and even had to go back for a stronger prescription when that one wasn't working.  After having knee replacement surgery and being on so many rounds of antibiotics for one reason or another, I deduced that she would really benefit from a probiotic (in general), and specifically that it would really help her acid reflux.  Since she was so skeptical and just because I knew it would help so much I even offered her a bottle for free out of the goodness of my heart, which was refused.  Some time later, like 6 months to a year of suffering, she tells me one day that she's now on a probiotic.  A friend of hers swore that they were working wonders for her, and that my mom should try it.  She did, and her acid reflux was practically cured.  Okey dokey.  Good thing that lady told her about probiotics, huh?

Just a week or two ago, I was having another conversation with my mom in which she informed me that she joined a Jazzercise class.  Yay!!  She had sat through one class to see what it was like, saw that there is every level of ability in the class, and signed up.  Now...my mom has been retired for a couple years.  During this time I have suggested over and over that she get out and do something...a cooking class, yoga, knitting club, anything!  I also told her that the more she is sedentary, the harder it will get.  I even bought her the Tony Horton (the P90X guy) Flap-assing with the Fogies video.  Well, I got to hear those magic words...ooh I get chills just thinking about how it sounded...'you were right'.  Ahhhhh.

Say it to yourself once or twice.  Doesn't it feel good?  Ya, you know it does.

How about all those conversations about how bad artificial sweeteners are?  Well, they wouldn't sell that stuff if it wasn't just fine for you, would they?  Well, well.  Isn't that a good question.  I've been on the anti-artificial bandwagon for a long time now, and I definitely make my feelings about it known...especially to those I care about, an especially when those same people consume more than their share of said sweeteners.  But don't listen to me, noooo.  Get a chain email about the dangers of aspartame.  Read it.  Heed it.  And forward it to ME, as if I didn't practically write that email.

Lucky for me my mom has a good sense of humor, and was forewarned about me writing this blog.  We laugh a lot together, no matter whose folly is being discussed.  More often than not, I think we are probably laughing about ME.  I'm not laughing AT you Carol, I'm laughing WITH you.  

To get to the ever-present point of the story, I'm not as full of baloney as you might think. Some people actually respect my opinions and advice because believe it or not, I'm not just talking to hear the sound of my own voice.

I'm right.  Just ask my mom.

Now, what would you like to know?!


No comments:

Post a Comment